What is a Facial ?
What is a Facial?
For those late to the party asking, “what is a facial?” we bring you this exclusive interview from Courtenay Weitzel, aesthetician, Brazilian waxing expert and manager at Old Town Scottsdale’s Salon D’ Shayn. So without further adieu we bring you facial 101.
What is a Facial?
A facial begins with a skin assessment and consultation about skin concerns and history.
1. Your face is cleansed twice with your skin type’s appropriate cleanser.
- The first cleansing is to remove makeup, dirt, oil, environmental residue from the surface.
- The second cleansing is to break down impurities in the follicles and begin the process of exfoliation.
2. Your facial skin is gently scrubbed with your appropriate exfoliant.
- This is done to slough off the excess dead skin layer and remove any skin cells clogging the mouth of the pores.
3. An enzyme peel with steam is applied to your clean and exfoliated face.
- This is done to further eradicate dead skin, liquify the blackheads and prepare skin for extractions.
- During steam treatment you will be sent to cloud 9 with a relaxing foot massage and hot towel to remove the oils afterward.
4. Extracting blackheads and blemishes.
- Blackheads can affect people with any type of skin, but are generally more common in those with oily skin.
- Blackheads form before bacteria invade the pores of the patient’s skin. A blackhead can develop into a pimple, which is also known as a papule or pustule.
5. Application of custom blended mask.
- A custom blended mask blended for skin type and special needs is applied.
- During mask treatment, your arms and hands are massaged using hot towels to remove oils.
6. Mask removal.
- Remove mask.
- Final massage on face, neck, ears, shoulders.
- Finish with short scalp massage.
There you have it, in a nutshell, play-by-play what a facial is. We like to call it a vacation on the facial table… Skincare nirvana.